The Research Institute for Policies on Pension and Aging (RIPPA) has the unique objective of promoting the research of Japanese pension plans and fund management in Japan.
The institute conducts systematic, comprehensive research of pension plans and fund management to improve and protect the pension systems, which need to remain as pillars of retirement income, taking into consideration the aging of society as well as in a harsh economic environment. The institute also collects, stores, and disseminates information on pension plans and fund management while improving its database and building research networks, all for the purpose of promoting broad research on pensions.
The institute is engaged in three spheres of activity.
- 1. Research and Study Projects
- 2. Dissemination and Education
- Dissemination of Research Results
- Education on Public Pensions and Social and Economic Conditions
- Promotion and Dissemination of Theoretical Research on Pension Plans and Fund Management
- 3. Research Infrastructure Improvement
- Networking for Researchers and Institutes
- Interdisciplinary Research
- Database Maintenance
- 4. Contact & Location
1. Research and Study Projects
- Trends in public and corporate pension plans, finance law, and finance schemes...
- Relationships between pensions and taxes, pensions and finance, optimum methods of financing pensions, and other basic issues related to pension plans; the separate roles of public pensions, corporate pensions, defined benefit pensions, national pension fund, and other pension plans and directions these plans should take as a whole...
- Long-term economic forecasts for Japan and the world; the effects of economic fluctuations on public and corporate pensions; the relationship between employment and pensions...
Pension Plan Management and Effects on the Corporate Community
- The effects on corporate pensions of changes in accounting standards; the responsibilities of trustees; pension governance; defined-contribution pensions (including investor education)...
- Corporate governance for pension management; financial market problems and advice for pension investors...
Fund Management Strategies for Public, Corporate, and Other Pension Plans
- Foreign market trends and trends in fund management and management institutions ...
- Building and rebalancing a policy asset mix considering debt and cash flow; risk budgeting and other risk management techniques; fund management policies on foreign exchange; best execution and evaluating execution costs...
- Evaluating private equity and other alternative investments; using derivatives; evaluating investment products and rating agencies...
Project on Intergenerational Equity
2. Dissemination and Education
Dissemination of Research Results
Education on Public Pensions and Social and Economic Conditions
- Lectures on Current Social and Economic Conditions: These lectures feature economists and university professors who discuss the social and economic conditions that impact pensions. The purpose is to foster a deeper understanding of problems with pensions and their causes.
- Symposiums: Symposiums feature a keynote speaker followed by a panel discussion and serve to educate the broad public on issues related to pension plans.
Promotion and Dissemination of Theoretical Research on Pension Plans and Fund Management
- Publication of Aging and Pension Investment: The institute publishes this journal on pension and fund management to promote theoretical research on pension plans and pension fund management. The editorial committee is comprised of experts from different fields, including pensions, employment, and fund management. The committee sets the theme and decides on the content for each issue, and maintains the standards appropriate for a research journal while at the same keeping the content timely and accessible to the general public.
3. Research Infrastructure Improvement
- Networking for Researchers and Institutes: To promote the collection and dissemination of information nationally and internationally, the institute conducts overseas surveys, invites experts from other countries, and provides opportunities to exchang information with pension research institutes from all over the world.
- Interdisciplinary Research: The institute provides a research assistance system to promote interdisciplinary research.
- Database Maintenance: The institute maintains a number of databases that support many types of activities.